Wednesday, February 28, 2007

My Italian Appliances


Should I ever forget where I live, all I have to do is try to cook something in our kitchen. Our stove-top and oven are gas operated. The oven also operates in Celsius. Thank goodness for modern technology and the Internet. I found a website that converts Fahrenheit cooking temperatures into Celsius temperatures. Needless to say, it's been interesting! I am thankful for having lived in Ghent in Norfolk, VA in which most of the stoves in the older apartments were gas. However, I have never used a gas oven. It's pretty much the same concept as the stove top.

The dryer is also gas operated, but it runs just like a regular dryer. Our dishwasher is another story. Since the water here in the Mediterranean is hard water, we have to put water softener in the dishwasher to cut down on calcium deposits. There is a chamber for the softener in the bottom of the dishwasher to put the softener. The softener is just a mixture of water and special rock salt that you buy at the grocery store. Don't even get me started on how the hard water has affected my hair! It seems to be more limp at times. I also find myself using more lotion here as well. I'm not sure if it is due to the hard water or due to the climate.

I see that I have so much to learn about living in Italy! At least I haven't see a gecko today!

No comments: