Today was a busy day! I have been volunteering with an university this week helping them prepare for their Graduation ceremony today.
After many last minute tasks, everything pulled together nicely to produce a wonderful ceremony. It was a special day for the graduates as many of them had been working for many years on their degrees by taking classes part-time while being in the military full-time.
It was fun to watch the families applaud and take pictures of their graduate. Afterwards, there was a nice reception with anti-pasti (Italian for appetizers) and cake.
The thing I enjoyed the most about today was seeing a few people that I already knew and catching up with them, as well as meeting some new people. Everyone here has a common conversation opener: "So, when did you get to Sig?" or "When did you land on the Island?" It's a common thread that seems to unite us as we start to share stories about how long we've been here, where we came from, and what we and/or our spouse does here.
As I was driving home after the Graduation reception, I thought to myself, "It's really going to be okay. We are going to make it here. And I think I kind of like it." Of course, Sicily is beautiful and I have enjoyed my time here, but there were a few home-sick weeks. After the newness wore off after being here awhile, I found myself listing everything I missed about the states, (family, friends, Target, Starbucks, any modern convenience, etc....) but now I get the sense that everything is going to be okay. I still miss those things from the states, but maybe I am learning accept that I don't have them in my daily life right now in order to embrace some new things.
One day at a time...
A final farewell, for now at least
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment