Monday, August 20, 2007

Shopping in Caltagirone


On Saturday, I went to the market in Caltagirone with another friend and her daughter. Caltagirone is known for having a beautiful 142-step staircase with ceramic inlays. Although we didn't make it to the staircase for a view, we did go to the market.

Several of the towns in Sicily have great markets on Saturdays. These markets open early in the morning and run until 1pm in the afternoon. At these markets, you can find anything from fresh fruit and veggies to clothing and shoes. My friend bought a few items for her daughter who is about to start kindergarten. I bought a cute pair of shoes (that I will save for after the pregnancy) and 1 kilo of fresh nectarines. These open air markets remind of a combination between a flea market and a huge yard sale. There are some items that I probably wouldn't buy there (such as underwear!), but there are also some good deals as well (like yummy fresh fruit.)

After browsing the market for a couple of hours, we went to a bread shop (Panificio) for drinks and a snack. You can usually find paninni sandwiches there, pizza, and of course, fresh bread. Today was a fun experience. It's always interesting trying to communicate with the locals and to explore the local culture.

No comments: